Little "tricks" to better withstand the lack of cigarette
Women and men wishing to quit smoking often ask if there are any "tricks" to get there. In fact, we must not confuse the methods whose effectiveness is proven - medical advice, nicotine replacement, bupropion - with the practical stuff scientists call coping skills (literally the art of coping).
To put the odds on his side, you have a method with proven efficacy and a strong motivation. This is the condition that the practices become really useful stuff. In practice, each person must find the combination method motivation-stuff that suits him. Here is a list of "stuff" that have proved helpful to some people as part of their smoking cessation.
If urgent desire:
- Tell yourself: "If I hold out another five minutes, the urge has passed" (true: an episode of the urgent need to smoke only lasts 3 to 5 minutes, then goes himself up 'the next episode; more days pass, more episodes are rare).
- Chew some gum - ideally a chewing gum with nicotine if you have one on hand - or a sugarless candy or a stick réglisse.Buvez a large glass of cool water.
- Breathe slowly and deeply, repeatedly
- Eat a fruit or yogurt lightened, or brush your teeth.
If that's not enough:
- Stop what you are doing and leave the room where you are
- Keep your hands busy by any object eg with a small rubber ball, three balls the size of a cherry ...
- Go for a walk, go jogging or doing a little exercise (pulled muscles, abdominals ...)
- Close your eyes and imagine a holiday place
- Take a shower
|---- Survey: Should we stop at once or rédue first ?|